National hospital of endocrinology (Vietnam)
Ta Van Binh
Location of the project:
July 1, 2008 - June 30, 2010
The project aims to evaluate measures motivating people at risk to do screening tests for the detection of high risk for prediabetes and diabetes, and to evaluate lifestyle intervention in people at high risk in the community of a medium size city in Vietnam. If successful, the project could be replicated in urban areas in all over the country.
Results to date (November 2012):
- 20 Preventionists have been recruited and trained to do screenings test and implement the project
- 9.550 diabetes risk questionnaire were collected
- 2.552 people screened for IGT and IFG by oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT), weight, height, blood pressure, and brief information on medical history and physical activity
- 130 participants divided in 8 groups took part in the nine education sessions (attendance rate: 82%)
- The percentage of participants achieving 150 minutes or more of moderate physical activity was 88.7% six months after the interventions.
- After six months 20.8% (22/106) participants achieved a weight loss of 5% or above
"Effects of group education sessions on lifestyle modification in diabetes prevention in people with prediabetes in Bac Ninh City" Journal of Practial Medicine, September 2015
*Project completed in June 2010
BRIDGES (Bringing Research in Diabetes to Global Environments and Systems) is a programme initiated by the International Diabetes Federation, and supported by an educational grant from Lilly Diabetes.