The General Assembly normally meets every two years at the same time as the World Diabetes Congress, unless a special meeting is convened by the IDF President or the General Assembly itself.
The General Assembly determines the policies and activities of IDF and elects:
- Officers of the Federation (President Elect and Vice Presidents) from the potential candidates put forward by the Nominating Committee
- Members of the next Nominating Committee
- Honorary Presidents and Honorary Members from the candidates put forward by the Special Nominating Committee
- Provisional member associations to full membership
The General Assembly is comprised of:
- Delegates of full member associations
- IDF Officers (President, President-Elect, Vice-Presidents and Regional Chairs)
Observers, who have no voting rights, are invited to attend the General Assembly (for example, Honorary Presidents and delegates from transnational member associations, provisional member associations, task forces and consultative sections).