I am honoured to have been appointed as the Interim CEO of the International Diabetes Federation.
This is a tremendous time of change and opportunity in the world and I am inspired to champion the global voice of people with diabetes and the millions of people yet to be diagnosed.
I am shocked to know that there are now:
• One in two people with diabetes don’t know they have it
• There are now over 371 million people with diabetes and this number will rise to half a billion within the next 20 years.
• One person dies every 7 seconds from diabetes.
• There are three times as many people in China alone with diabetes than people with HIV in the world
• Diabetes costs society close to USD 500 billion - an unsustainable and unacceptable burden from all aspects....
IDF is committed to people with diabetes and spreading the meaning of the blue circle, the global symbol of diabetes.
I am committed and extremely grateful to our partners, people with diabetes, healthcare professionals, our over 200 country member associations worldwide and all our stakeholders globally.
My priority for the coming months is to continue to raise the visibility of diabetes as a critical and life-threatening disease.
I am committed to working on innovation and new initiatives to improve healthcare outcomes requiring urgent global attention and collaboration from all sectors of society.
We all have a part to play and I look forward to working with all of you.