January 2012: United Nations Task Force (UNTT) on Post-2015 Development Agenda set up with the following Terms of Reference:
- An assessment of on-going efforts within the UN system
- An assessment of initiatives taken by external stakeholders including the international financial institutions, civil society, academia and the private sector
- The development of a system-wide vision and road map for the post-2015 agenda.
- Report to be the foundation for the UN Eminent Person’s Panel on going assessment on the Post-2015 framework
January 2012- September 2015: “The Global Conversation Campaign” from The United Nations Millennium Campaign is a series of online conversations that bring people across the globe together to focus the world’s attention on the issues that matter to our generation: poverty and its root causes. The unfiltered conversations between global influencers and citizens around the world are broadcast live
December 2012: NCD Targets, Global Monitoring Framework and Partnership adopted
May 2012- January 2013: United Nations Development Group 50 Country Consultations
May 2012- February 2013: United Nations Development Group. Themes of Global meetings:
- Inequalities (across all dimensions, including gender)
- Health (including issues covered by MDGs 4, 5, 6, plus non communicable diseases)
- Education (primary, secondary, tertiary and vocational)
- Growth and employment (including investment in productive capacities, decent employment, and social protection)
- Environmental sustainability (including access to energy, biodiversity, climate change)
- Food security and nutrition
- Governance (at all levels)
- Conflict and fragility (including post-conflict countries, and those prone to natural disasters)
- Population dynamics (including ageing, international and internal migration, and urbanisation)
June 2012: United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20)
September 2012: Open working group shall be established to begin work on the SDGs comprising of 30 representatives (nominated by Member States through UN regional groups to achieve equitable geographical representation)
June 2012- December 2014: Process to develop Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and integrating that into the MDGs, as well as a few other process-related benchmarks. A working group will be established to begin work on the SDGs in September 2012. An intergovernmental committee will be formed consisted of 30 experts nominated by regional groups to implement this process - to assess financing needs, consider effectiveness/consistency/synergies of existing instruments and frameworks and evaluate new initiatives. The SDG process must be concluded by 2014 with a report to the UN General Assembly.
July 2012-December 2015: UN Eminent Persons Panel, a UN High Level Panel, co-chaired by Prime Minister David Cameron, President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, and President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to advise the UNSG on the post-2015 agenda. The Panel will produce a report that will form a basis of the intergovernmental negotiations on the framework due in February 2013.
July 2012: UNTT delivered its report to the UN Secretary General (UNSG) on Post-2015 Development Agenda: ‘Realizing the Future We Want for All’. It will revisit its ToR to perhaps develop a new mandate to continue its work. For the report please visit: http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/pdf/Post_2015_UNTTreport.pdf
January 2013: 130th WHO Executive Board-Presentation on NCD Recommendations
September 2013: UN General Assembly (UNGA) MDG Review Summit
September 2013: UN Secretary General Progress Report on NCDs
September 2013: A report from the open working group to decide on SDG’s method of work and modalities to ensure full involvement of all relevant stakeholders and expertise from civil society, UN and scientists will be submitted to the 68th Session on UNGA (2013) containing a proposal for SDGs for consideration and appropriate action
September 2014: UN Review of the Political Declaration on NCDs
January 2015-December 2015: Intergovernmental negotiations process in UN General Assembly on post-2015
July/September 2015: UN General Assembly Post-MDG Review Summit
For a diagram of the post-2015 processes, click here.