Dr. Mohan's Diabetes Specialities Centre (DMDSC) has been designated as an International Diabetes Federation Centre of Diabetes Education (IDFCE) for the period 2014-2015. DMDSC is a state-of-the-art diabetes care facility, launched in 1991, that provides comprehensive care for diabetes and its complications.
In addition to its main centre at Gopalapuram in the heart of Chennai, India, DMDSC has ten other branches, which help to extend diabetes care to a wider population. As of 2011, the Centre has registered more than 250,000 people with diabetes. The clinical details of all patients are stored in a unique electronic records system, the largest of its kind in the world.
DMDSC has also been designated a World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Centre for Non-Communicable Disease Prevention and Control. The Madras Diabetes Research Foundation (MDRF), the research wing of Dr. Mohan's Group of Institutions, was found in 1996 with the aim of conducting research of global standards on diabetes and its complications. MDRF is located in a 6.5 acre campus on the outskirts of Chennai, the Kallam Anji Reddy Centre. Research carried out at MDRF has resulted in the publication of close to 400 articles in reputed and international journals.
Educational Activities of the Institution:
For health care professionals:
- Post Doctoral Fellowship in Diabetology (one year course for doctors with a post graduation in internal medicine).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Diabetology a two-year course for doctors with a basic MBBS degree to be trained as diabetologists.
- Fellowship in Eye Diseases of Diabetes (FEDD) a two year fellowship in diabetes related eye diseases for ophthalmologist with Diploma in Ophthalmology or one year course for those with a higher degree in ophthalmology eg. M.S. Ophthalmology or FRCS ophthalmology
Courses for Non-Physicians:
- PG Diploma in Diabetes Education (one year course for graduates in science)
- B.Sc Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology (three year course for candidates with twelve years of school education)
- Diploma in Nursing Aide (two year course for students with ten years of school education)
- Diploma in Podiatry (two year course for students with ten years of school education)
- Certificate Course in Diabetes Technologies (one year course for students with ten years of school education)
- Certificate Course in Physician Assistantship (one year course for students with ten years of school education)
- Certificate Course in Ophthalmic Nursing Assistants (one year course for students with ten years of school education)
- Ph.D programs in Diabetology, Ophthalmology, Biochemistry and Cell and Molecular Biology affiliated to the local university
- Short-term research programmes for science students.
For people with diabetes and the general public:
- Daily lectures on diabetes and its complications
- Conversation Map
- One to one education sessions
A team of qualified diabetologists, ophthalmologists, surgeons, intensivists, radiologist, dietitians and diabetes educators form the course faculty for these courses.
Links for more information:
- Dr Mohan’s Diabetes Specialities Centre (DMDSC) 
- Madras Diabetes Research Foundation (MDRF) 
- Indian Noncommunicable Disease Network (INN)