The General Assembly is IDF's general guiding body. It normally meets every two years at the same time as the World Diabetes Congress, unless a special meeting is convened by the IDF President or the General Assembly itself.
The General Assembly determines the policies and activities of IDF and has the power to:
- admit and terminate the Members of IDF;
- elect (from the potential candidates put forward by the Nominating Committee) and terminate the Board of Directors members ;
- approve the election of Regional Chairs and Regional Chairs-Elect;
- elect the Nominating Committee;
- approve the changes to the Articles of Association and to the Standard Operating Procedures;
- approve the budget and annual audited accounts;
- appoint and terminate the auditors;
- decide upon dissolution and liquidation of IDF.
The General Assembly is composed of the following persons, who are referred to as "Members of the General Assembly":
- the members of the Board of Directors (President, President-Elect, Vice-Presidents and Regional Chairs)
- Delegates of each Member
Observers, who have no voting rights, are invited to attend the General Assembly (for example, Honorary Presidents, Provisional Members or Committee Chairs).