The clock is ticking down to the UN High-Level Summit on Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs). In less than six months, world leaders will gather in New York for a meeting that has the potential to change the world for the millions of people living with diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease and chronic respiratory disease. This Summit offers an unrivalled opportunity to broker commitments at the highest level and create a sustained global movement on NCDs.
IDF is leading a global campaign to ensure the UN Summit on NCDs produces the most effective outcomes for the global diabetes community. To date our Diabetes Roadmap Programme for the UN Summit has had an impressive impact on preparations for the UN Summit by producing powerful advocacy publications, mobilising our 200 member associations in 160 countries, and keeping diabetes visible within the broader NCD platform. Now, as we get closer to the Summit, we need your help to put our compelling case to influencers and political decision makers in your country and convince them to take coordinated and concerted action.
IDF has launched an Advocacy Toolkit that aims to bridge global to local advocacy through information, guidance and key tools and resources. The Toolkit provides:
- An overview of the UN High-Level Summit on NCDs
- A guide to effective advocacy and campaigning for the UN Summit
- Tips on continuing momentum after the UN Summit
- Advocacy resources, tools and publications
The resources included in the toolkit are downloadable and amendable for your use. Click on the links below to download the resource of your choice:
- Checklist for Advocacy for the UN Summit on NCDs  (doc, 840KB) Español  - Français 
- Sample Letter  (doc, 660KB) Español  - Français 
- Sample Press Release  (doc, 670KB) Español  - Français 
- Parliamentary Briefing on Diabetes and the UN Summit on NCDs  (doc, 250KB) Español  - Français 
- Charter of Rights and Responsibilities of People with Diabetes  (pdf, 500KB) - Arabic  - Español  - Français  - Mandarin 
- PowerPoint Presentation Series:
- Diabetes - We’re in this together : A message from International Diabetes Federation President Jean Claude Mbanya calling on everyone to fight this common enemy together.
- Type 1 diabetes in the developing world : A video highlighting the harsh reality of children with type 1 diabetes in the developing world.
- Diabetes drains the global economy : A video highlighting the high costs of diabetes to the global economy.
- O is for outrage - Type 1 diabetes : A video highlighting that in many parts of the world people with type 1 diabetes do not have sufficient access to the life-saving medication insulin.
- Let’s make exercise our goal : A video linking healthy lifestyles to diabetes prevention and education.
- World Diabetes Day: Understand Diabetes, Get Involved : How well do we know diabetes? A 1-min video providing general facts and figures on diabetes.
- Podcasts featuring IDF President Jean Claude Mbanya .
If you have any questions regarding the content of the Toolkit or its use, please contact [email protected] .
The production of this publication was made possible thanks to the generous support of the Foundation of European Nurses in in Diabetes (FEND), Johnson & Johnson, Lilly Diabetes, Medtronic Foundation, Novo Nordisk, Roche Diagnostics and World Diabetes Foundation.