The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) is an alliance of over 200 national diabetes associations with two million members in more than 160 countries and territories. For over 50 years, IDF has been at the vanguard of global diabetes advocacy. IDF has a multinational staff of around 40 people at its Brussels Executive Office and has 7 regional offices. IDF’s work relies on the contribution of a large number of expert volunteers and upon the commitment and expertise of our member associations.
The Federation is committed to raising global awareness of diabetes, promoting the exchange of information about the different types of diabetes, giving education support for people with diabetes and their healthcare providers, and encouraging activities towards finding a cure for the different types of diabetes.
For its Executive Office in Brussels, IDF is looking to hire a Data Analyst & Coordinator for the Policy & Programmes department. This is an exceptional opportunity for an individual to be part of a progressive international federation.
The Principle Data Analyst will work full-time (38 hours per week) in the IDF Policy and Programmes Department, and report to the Epidemiology and Public Health Manager, who in turn reports to the Programmes and Policy Director.
Support and coordinate IDF’s work in epidemiology and biostatistics in order to improve the evidence base for diabetes.
- Responsible for the management of IDF’s high-profile Diabetes Atlas
- Coordinates the collection, analysis, interpretation and presentation of data on the burden of diabetes globally in countries at all levels of economic development
- Provides statistical support for the design and development of new projects
- Plans, prioritises and tracks simultaneous epidemiological studies
- Liaises with a global network of expert volunteers
- Builds, organises and maintains internal MySQL study databases
- Applies statistical methods to analyse and extrapolate observational study data
- Creates R models to generate regional and global estimates of prevalence
- Summarises complex data using infographics and Tableau visualisations
- Supports the communications team in the interpretation of scientific findings
- Travel may be required (approximately 15-35 days per year)
Knowledge and complexity
- Master’s degree or PhD (or equivalent) biostatistics, epidemiology, or related field
- Degree in life sciences or social sciences is preferred
- At least five years relevant work experience
- Experience of statistical modelling and regression of health data
- Experience in using software (particularly R and Tableau) to analyse health data
- Experience in installing, configuring and upgrading MySQL databases
- Knowledge of the global epidemiology of diabetes and major comorbidities
- Demonstrated experience in the synthesis of published epidemiological data
- Keen interest in diabetes and the mission of the IDF
- Excellent oral and written knowledge of English (extra language is an asset)
- Skilled in ensuring that simultaneous projects are delivered on time
- Can advise team members on statistical issues and study design
- Skilled in keeping up to date with relevant scientific literature
- Able to communicate effectively with a variety of health professionals
- Ability to call on the manager as necessary
- Skilled in the analysis and presentation of epidemiological data
- Skilled in the critical interpretation and synthesis of published data
- Proven ability to produce internal progress reports and published scientific papers
- Experience presenting results via posters and oral presentations at international congresses
- Able to adopt IDF’s ethics and beliefs
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a curriculum vitae and cover letter to describe interest and relevance to the position to Mrs Evelyne Haubruge, HR & Office Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org , by 30 March 2014.