In July 2011 the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust  bestowed a very substantial grant over two years to the IDF Life for a Child Programme, the largest single donation that the Programme has received. The grant has allowed Life for a Child to works towards a number of key outcomes in improving care for disadvantaged children and youth with diabetes in developing countries. These include:
- Resources so that the programme can continue to expand the number of children and countries being assisted and improve the quality of care for those already supported.
- Development of a global diabetes education resource providing online materials to children, families and healthcare professionals in various languages, as well as printing and distribution of specific materials.
- Extensive training of health professionals in partnership with ISPAD and various expert developed country centres.
- Establishment of a web-based database that will improve patient care, establish registries and assist with monitoring and evaluation.
- Planning of a multi-centre research project assessing epidemiology, complications and outcomes.