Facts and Figures
- In 2013, there were an estimated 184 million women with diabetes. By 2030, this number is expected to rise to 288 million.
- Diabetes is the ninth leading cause of death in women globally, causing 2.1 million deaths per year.
- Sixty percent of the world’s poor are women, twice as many women as men suffer from malnutrition, and two thirds of illiterate adults are women.
- The greatest increase in the female diabetes population over the next 20 years will be in the Middle East and North Africa Region (96%), followed by the Africa Region (90.4%) and South East Asia (74.4%).
- Two out of every five women with diabetes are of reproductive age, accounting for over 60 million women worldwide.
- High blood glucose, or hyperglycaemia, is one ofthe most common health problems of pregnancy.
- Hyperglycaemia in pregnancy can be a result of either previously existing diabetes in a pregnant woman, or the development of insulin resistance later in the pregnancy in a condition known as gestational diabetes (GDM).
- Any unmanaged hyperglycaemia in pregnancy can result in birth complications that can affect both mother and child including: increased risk of preeclampsia, obstructed labour due to fetal macrosomia and hypoglycaemia at birth for the infant.
- The prevalence of hyperglycaemia in pregnancy increases rapidly with age and is highest in women over the age of 45.
- As the prevalence of both obesity and diabetes in women of childbearing age continue to rise in all regions, so will the prevalence of hyperglycaemia in pregnancy.
- Gestational diabetes (GDM) is any glucose intolerance with onset or first recognition during pregnancy, and develops in one in 25 pregnancies worldwide.
- In India alone, an estimated 4 million women have GDM.
- Approximately half of women with a history of GDM go on to develop type 2 diabetes within five to ten years after delivery.
- IDF Policy Briefs, 2011
- PAHO and NCD Alliance: NCDs and Gender , 2011
- PMNCH and IDF: Knowledge Summary Women's and Children's health and Non-Communicable Diseases, 2012 
- NCD Alliance: NCDs: A Priority for Women's Health and Development , 2011
- Addressing the challenge of GDM in the developing world - perspectives from rural western Kenya , 2014
- IDF Diabetes Atlas reveals high burden of hyperglycaemia in pregnancy , 2014
- Gestational diabetes – an update from India , 2013
- Gestional diabetes an invisible maternal health issue,  2011
- GDM a serious maternal and invisible health issue , 2011
- Putting Women and diabetes on the global health agenda , 2011
- Halting the rise of NCDs: An urgent priority for women's health , 2011
- Mobilising Women and Diabetes for Global Development , 2010
- Diabetes Voice: Special Issue on Women , 2009