Diploma MSc has been providing diabetes postgraduate qualifications since 2010 in partnership with the University of South Wales, one of the largest universities in the United Kingdom.
In addition to the Postgraduate Diploma in Diabetes, we offer a MSc in Diabetes, a Postgraduate Diploma and MSc in Endocrinology and a Postgraduate Diploma and MSc in Sports and Exercise Medicine.
The Postgraduate Diploma is:
- One year
- The least expensive online postgraduate diploma in diabetes in the UK
Students can choose from the March or September intake.
The diabetes diploma is based on the International Curriculum for Diabetes Health Professional Education and is designed to be relevant to all healthcare professionals in the multidisciplinary team who treat people with diabetes. The online nature of the course enables students to study whenever and wherever they want, with the support of our experienced tutors.
The course is designed to be practical and clinically focused. On completion of the diploma, students have:
- A greater understanding of the multidisciplinary approach to the care of people with diabetes.
- Experience of developing local guidelines, patient information literature or care pathways which will be part of their individual and group activities.
- A greater confidence and understanding of the management of people with diabetes through case studies and discussion.
- Improved critical analysis of published data and data interpretation.
The online course lasts one calendar year and is made of 6 modules per year, each of 6 weeks duration. The modules are:
- Module 1: Principles of diabetes
- Module 2: Approaches of diabetes
- Module 3: Promoting self-care
- Module 4: Management of diabetes
- Module 5: Complications (microvascular)
- Module 6: Complications (macrovascular)
Each of the 6 modules have the same assessment format. Due to the online nature of the course, students are expected to login and participate in the course regularly throughout the module (ideally on a daily basis).
Students are split into groups of 10-15 students and are assigned a dedicated expert tutor who:
- Facilitates clinical case discussions with the group.
- Monitors, assesses and marks each student throughout the module.
Students use the skills gained during the lectures to engage with the different activities, such as:
- Clinical case scenarios with case based discussion
- Individual learning portfolio
- Group and individual activity
- Case based examination
On completion of the Postgraduate Diploma in Diabetes, successful students will be eligible to apply for the MSc in Diabetes with the University of South Wales.
Requirements for entry into course:
Health professionals, both UK and overseas, with an honours degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) are eligible to apply for the Postgraduate Diploma course.
Non graduates are also encouraged to apply (applicants will be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at degree level).
Applicants should submit copies of the following with their application:
- Qualification certificates
- One written reference
- English language qualification (IELTS 6.5 or equivalent)
Sarah Wiley, Project Manager
+44 (0) 29 2068 2050
Unit 9, Cardiff Medicentre, Heath Park