The World Diabetes Day 2014 campaign is asking everyone to GO BLUE FOR BREAKFAST in November by organising a healthy breakfast activity in their local community to highlight the importance of eating healthy to help prevent type 2 diabetes and avoid the serious complications of diabetes. The initiative promotes the benefits of starting the day with a healthy breakfast. A healthy breakfast can help individuals manage their weight and, for people living with diabetes, keep blood glucose levels stable.
You can join the campaign by:
- Getting your friends, family, colleagues or members of your organisation together and asking them to join you for a healthy breakfast to mark World Diabetes Day on 14 November.
- Identifying a public place in your town or city where the breakfast could be held.
- Submitting your event on our custom online platform
Please ask participants at your breakfast event to wear blue, the colour of the blue circle - the global symbol for diabetes awareness.
All Go Blue for Breakfast events submitted will be displayed on the world map featured on the platform. The number of participants will go towards filling the blue circle in the centre.
- Decide on a location to hold your Go Blue for Breakfast event. Ideally this will be in the town centre, with easy access and a constant flow of people.
- Talk to your local authorities to see if a permit is required
- Consider safety issues and take weather conditions into consideration
- Identify any event furniture needed (tables, marquees,…) and technical requirements
- Invite local authorities to your Go Blue for Breakfast event. Prominent local officials will attract media attention.
- Arrange someone to take photographs and videos of the event.
- Order your WDD promotional items.
How can you promote your event locally?
- Prior to your Go Blue for Breakfast event contact local media and let them know about your event. Prepare and send media and photo call alerts.
- Promote your event on local websites, community and health centres and schools.
- Create a page or section on your website with information about your event, the World Diabetes Day campaign and facts about healthy eating and diabetes.
- Use social media to promote your event.
How can IDF support your event?
- Submit your event on the Go For Blue Breakfast platform. All Go Blue for Breakfast events submitted will be displayed on a world map and the number of participants will go towards filling the blue circle in the centre of the platform.
- A number of events will be promoted in the World Diabetes Day newsletter and on IDF social media.
What materials can I use in my event?
- World Diabetes Day poster
- World Diabetes Day merchandise
- World Diabetes Day messages and diabetes facts and figures
Share the success of your event with others
- Submit your information on our World Diabetes Day pages on Facebook and Twitter
- Once finalised don’t forget to share information and images of your event with the World Diabetes Day team. Images can be uploaded on the World Diabetes Day Flickr group.
- Share the information on your website and social media platforms.
- Don’t forget to share your success with local authorities and media.