In many parts of the world, the beginning of November marks the start of a month-long series of activities aimed at raising diabetes awareness and calling for urgent action to tackle the diabetes epidemic. Here's a reminder of why we all have to 'Act on Diabetes. Now.':
- New figures recently launched by the International Diabetes Federation indicate that the number of people living with diabetes has risen to 366 million.
- Diabetes is responsible for 4.6 million deaths a year - 1 every 7 seconds.
- Healthcare spending on diabetes has reached USD 465 billion.
- Diabetes is among the top 10 causes of disability, resulting in devastating complications such as blindness and lower limb amputations.
- All nations – rich and poor – are suffering the impact of the diabetes epidemic
- Diabetes is undermining global development.
- Diabetes hits the poorest hardest
View all our campaign messages to help inform your awareness activities in the days and weeks to come. Together we can make a difference!