The IDF Diabetes Atlas Ninth edition 2019 provides the latest figures, information and projections on diabetes worldwide.
- Approximately 463 million adults (20-79 years) were living with diabetes; by 2045 this will rise to 700 million
- The proportion of people with type 2 diabetes is increasing in most countries
- 79% of adults with diabetes were living in low- and middle-income countries
- The greatest number of people with diabetes were between 40 and 59 years of age
- 1 in 2 (232 million) people with diabetes were undiagnosed
- Diabetes caused 4.2 million deaths
- Diabetes caused at least USD 760 billion dollars in health expenditure in 2019 – 10% of total spending on adults
- More than 1.1 million children and adolescents are living with type 1 diabetes
- More than 20 million live births (1 in 6 births) are affected by diabetes during pregnancy
- 374 million people are at increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes
Download the IDF Diabetes Atlas 9th Edition 2019 and other resources at www.diabetesatlas.org.