IDF side event to the 71st World Health Assembly (May 2018)
On the occasion of the 71st World Health Assembly, IDF held a multi-stakeholder panel discussion “Nutrition education and IDF action to tackle obesity and prevent diabetes” in Geneva on 22 May 2018.
During the event, nutrition experts, government representatives and people living with diabetes discussed how quality nutrition education can be part of the solution to overcome the global health challenges posed by diabetes and obesity.
The event also provided the opportunity to showcase recent developments in the Kids & Diabetes in Schools (KiDS) initiative, a project that aims to foster a safe and supportive environment in schools for children with diabetes, and encourage the adoption of good healthy habits from an early age.
Speakers and panellists included:
- Prof. Nam H. Cho, IDF President
- Dr Francesco Branca, Director of Nutrition for Health and Development, World Health Organization
- Ms Taru Koivisto, Director of Wellbeing and Services, Finnish Ministry of Social Affairs and Health
- Dr Lawrence Haddad, Executive Director, Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)
- Dr Ophra Rebiere, Vice President and Head of Corporate Social Responsibility, Sanofi
- Dr Tatjana Milenkovic, President, Macedonian Diabetes Association
- Dr Monika Arora, Health Promotion Director, Public Health Foundation India (PHFI)
- Ms Paula Chinchilla, nutritionist, Mentor of the Young Leaders in Diabetes Programme and member of the Blue Circle Voices (Costa Rica)
Click here to download the event report.
Click here to watch the video of the event (due technical issues, only half of the discussion was recorded).