Kuwait Diabetes Society
- Address :
- Kaifan Block 1, Ishbilia street
- Telephone number :
- Email :
- Website :
- Twitter :
- Founded in :
- Member of IDF since :
- Number of members :
Kuwait Diabetes Society (KDS) is a nonprofit foundation that was established in 1996 through the Kuwait Medical Association (KMA). It was initially located within the KMA building. As the number of the members grew throughout the years and the service provided has varied, KDS has relocated to a spacious setting in al Ma’moun School in Kifan Area. Today KDS is considered one of the largest societies in Kuwait with more than 25,000 registered member and with more than 250 visitors per day.
To provide the opportunity to live a healthy life with diabetes without complications.
To promote awareness of the society to prevent and control diabetes through the implementation of best practices and evidence based guidelines and by conducting and organizing workshops /courses for both health care professionals and general population.
• To empower individuals with diabetes for better control
• To educate health care professional for a better practice of diabetes care
• To promote public awareness to adopt healthy life style and prevent diabetes
• To support research in diabetes
- Develop training courses and workshops to empower individuals with diabetes and to provide the opportunity to share experiences.
- Provide diabetes management tools (glucometers, glucose strips, etc) at average costs that are lower than market price.
- Provide free retinal exams , HbA1C check, diabetes education , foot care consultations and dietary advice for members.
- Construct periodical publications and educational materials covering latest news in the field of diabetes.
- Organize training courses for health care professionals( nurses, physicians, dieticians) to support best practice of care and prevention of diabetes and it’s complications.
- Arrange sponsoring local and international diabetes conferences.
- Increase cooperation between physicians and health care professionals specializing in diabetes to share knowledge and exchange experiences regarding diabetes therapy to improve care provided for people with diabetes.
- Coordinate with governmental and nongovernmental organizations to promote a high standard diabetes care delivered to diabetic patients.
- Establish and strengthen the relationships between KDS and other diabetes-related organizations and associations regionally and globally.
Screening and awareness program
It’s a mission of Kuwait diabetes society to raise the awareness of the community including children and youth about risk factors of obesity and diabetes, their complications and the importance of adopting a healthy life style.
KDS organizes screening campaigns by having Open days in commercial centers , schools and universities where screening , and counseling is offered for the public.
Screening includes checking blood pressure, blood sugar and also weight and BMI aiming to increase the awareness of healthy life style and weight control to fight obesity and diabetes and to prevent complications.
Celebrating world diabetes day
KDS celebrates world diabetes day by organizing awareness activities, lectures open days walkathon together with blue Lighting of Kuwait towers and other buildings to remind public of the need to fight diabetes.
Supporting “Young leader group” program
KDS is supporting the IDF young leader group program in Kuwait by providing logistic help and funds to the group named “Blue circle” which showed great success in opening channels of communication with youths with diabetes through the social media network ( twitter, Instagram, etc ).
Prevention of diabetes complications
KDS works with the patients to help prevent diabetes complications, we provide medical care service free of charge for all members. Daily education clinic at KDS provided by expert nurse educator.Foot and retinal examination is also offered by consultant diabetologist.
Education and training program
Part of KDS mission is to provide continuous medical education and training for physician and health care professionals working in diabetes to raise the standards of medical services provided to our diabetics. Workshops and continuous medical education lectures targeting primary health care physicians and nurses are organized by KDS.
Message from the President
Dr Hessa al Kandari "The prevalence of diabetes is increasing at alarming rates in the gulf region. Kuwait is among the top ten countries with the highest diabetes prevalence rate. Obesity is another growing health concern in Kuwait. Kuwait is also placed in the top ten fattest countries in the world with 74% of the total population being overweight or obese. Diabetes promises to become a larger public health issue with significant social and economic burden. it’s hardly realistic to heap the entire burden on government shoulders. A collaborative effort among people with diabetes and those at risk of diabetes, governments and health services, health care professionals and the general public, is needed to manage the global diabetes challenge. We cannot stress further the importance of education as a key to confronting the issue of diabetes and obesity in our region. As member of IDF, we are able to join the world largest network of diabetes organisations in the fight against diabetes." Back to members