Presenting new epidemiological and diabetes-related impact data.
Presenting new epidemiological and diabetes-related impact data.
The Diabetic Association of Pakistan (DAP) was established in 1966 and the outpatient clinic started. It was affiliated with the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) in 1967. In 1982 the Eye Clinic for people with diabetes started and the Foot Clinic was established in 1987.
The mission of Diabetic Association of Pakistan is to provide specialised Medical Care and Education to the people with diabetes.
The association offers the following services:
Diabetes Digest is published every month since 1988.
Active research has been carried out between the DAP and the Baqai Institute of Diabetology and Endocrinology (BIDE).
List of collaborative research projects between DAP and BIDE from 2002 to 2020
1. A.S. Shera, F. Jawad, A. Basit. Diabetes related knowledge attitude and practices of family physicians in Pakistan. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association, 2002; 51(2): 465-470
2. Samad Shera, Z. Miyan, A. Basit, A. Maqsood, M.Y. Ahmedani, A. Fawwad, M. Riaz. Trends of Type 1 Diabetes in Karachi, Pakistan. Journal of Pediatrics Diabetes, 2008; (Part-II) 9(4): 401-406
3. A Basit. A Samad Shera. Prevalence of Metabolic syndrome in Pakistan. Journal of Metabolic Syndrome & Related Disorder, 2008; 6(3):171-175.
4. M Yakoob Ahmadani. Rubina Hakeem. Asher Fawwad. A Basit. A Samad Shera. Determination of reference values for elevated fasting and Random insulin levels and their Association with Metabolic Risk factors (family history of diabetes, abnormal glucose tolerance, hypertension, overweight & android obesity) among rural Pakistanis from province of Sindh. Journal of Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 2008; 6(2): 143-148
5. M. Zafar Iqbal Hydrie, A Samad Shera, Asher Fawwad, Abdul Basit, Akhtar Hussain. Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome in Urban Pakistan: (Karachi): Comparison of newly proposed IDF and modified ATP III Criterions. Journal of Metabolic Syndrome & Related Disorder, 2009, 7(2): 119-124.
6. Mussarat Riaz, Ahmed Salman, Asher Fawwad, M. Zafar Iqbal Hydrie, Muhammad Yakoob Ahmadani, Abdul Basit, A Samad Shera.Trends of Thyrotropin (TSH) and associated factors in urban Pakistan (Karachi). International Journal of Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2009; 1: 12-19
7. M. Zafar Iqbal Hydrie, Abdul Basit, A. Samad Shera, Rubina Hakeem and Akhtar Hussain. Dietary patterns associated with risk for metabolic syndrome in urban community of Karachi defined by cluster analysis. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 2010 9 (1): 93-99
8. Samad Shera, Abdul Basit, Asher Fawwad, Rubina Hakeem, Muhamamd Yakoob Ahmedani, Muhammad Zafar Iqbal Hydrie, I.A Khwaja. Pakistan National Diabetes Survey: Prevalence of Glucose Intolerance and Associated Factors in the Punjab Province of Pakistan. Primary Care Diabetes 2010; 4: 79-83
9. Fariha Faisal, Shaheen Asghar, M. Zafar Iqbal Hydrie, Asher Fawwad, Abdul Basit, Samad Shera, Akhtar Hussain. Depression and Diabetes in High-Risk Urban Population of Pakistan. The Open Diabetes Journal, 2010 3, 1-5
10. Mussarat Riaz, Asher Fawwad, M. Zafar Iqbal Hydrie, Abdul Basit, A Samad Shera.Is there any association of serum high sensitivity C-reactive protein with various risk factors for Metabolic Syndrome in healthy adult population of Karachi, Pakistan. Journal of Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 2011 9(3;177–182
11. S. Faraz Danish Alvi, M. Zafar Iqbal Hydrie, Asher Fawwad, Abdul Basit, Musarrat Riaz. Samad Shera. Ethnic differences in metabolic syndrome among South Asians of Pakistan. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences 2011; (Part-II) 27(3): 484-489
12. Rees SD, Hydrie MZ, Shera AS, Kumar S, O'Hare JP, Barnett AH, Basit A, Kelly MA. Replication of 13 genome-wide association (GWA)-validated risk variants for type 2 diabetes in Pakistani populations. Diabetologia. 2011 Jun;54(6):1368-74.
13. S. D. Rees, M. Islam, M. Z. I. Hydrie, B. Chaudhary, S. Bellary, S. Hashmi, J. P. O’Hare, S. Kumar, D. K. Sanghera, N. Chaturvedi, A. H. Barnett, S. Shera, M. N. Weedon, A. Basit, T. M. Frayling, M. A. Kelly, T. H. Jafar. An FTO variant is associated with Type 2 diabetes in South Asian populations after accounting for body mass index and waist circumference. Diabetic Medicine 2011 Jun;28(6):673-802.
14. M. Zafar Iqbal Hydrie, Abdul Basit, Asher Fawwad, Muhammad Yakoob Ahmedani, A Samad Shera, Akhtar Hussain. Detecting Insulin Resistance in Pakistani Subjects by Fasting Blood Samples. The Open Diabetes Journal, 2012, 5, 20-24
15. Kooner JS, Saleheen D, Sim X, Sehmi J, Zhang W, Frossard P, Been LF, Chia KS, Dimas AS, Hassanali N, Jafar T, Jowett JB, Li X, Radha V, Rees SD, Takeuchi F, Young R, Aung T, Basit A, Chidambaram M, Das D, Grundberg E,Hedman AK, Hydrie ZI, Islam M, Khor CC, Kowlessur S, Kristensen MM, Liju S, Lim WY, Matthews DR, Liu J, Morris AP, Nica AC, Pinidiyapathirage JM, Prokopenko I, Rasheed A, Samuel M, Shah N, Shera AS, Small KS, Suo C,Wickremasinghe AR, Wong TY, Yang M, Zhang F; DIAGRAM; MuTHER, Abecasis GR, Barnett AH, Caulfield M, Deloukas P, Frayling TM, Froguel P, Kato N, Katulanda P, Kelly MA, Liang J, Mohan V, Sanghera DK, Scott J, Seielstad M, Zimmet PZ, Elliott P, Teo YY, McCarthy MI, Danesh J, Tai ES, Chambers JC. Genome-wide association study in individuals of South Asian ancestry identifies six new type 2 diabetes susceptibility loci. Nat Genet. 2011 Aug 28;43(10):984-9.
16. Rees SD, Hydrie MZ, O'Hare JP, Kumar S, Shera AS, Basit A, Barnett AH, Kelly MA. Effects of 16 genetic variants on fasting glucose and type 2 diabetes in South Asians: ADCY5 and GLIS3 variants may predispose to type 2 diabetes PLoS One. 2011;6(9):e24710. Epub 2011 Sep 20.
17. MA Kelly, Simon D. Rees, M. Zafar I. Hydrie, A. Samad Shera, Srikanth Bellary, J.Paul O’Hare, Sudhesh Kumar, Shahrad Taheri, Abdul Basit, Anthony H. Barnett, DIAGRAM consortium", SAT2D consortium .Circadian Gene Variants and Susceptibility to Type 2 Diabetes: A Pilot Study. PLoS ONE 7(4):2012
18. Mussarat Riaz, Abdul Basit, M. Zafar Iqbal Hydrie, Fariha Shaheen, Akhtar Hussain, Rubina Hakeem, A. Samad Shera. Risk Assessment of Pakistani Individuals for Diabetes (RAPID). Primary Care Diabetes 2012; 6: 297–302
19. Muhammad Zafar Hydrie, Abdul Basit, A. Samad Shera and Akhtar Hussain. Effect of intervention in subjects with high risk of Diabetes Mellitus in Pakistan. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 867604,
20. Shabeen Naz Masood, Yasir Masood, Rubina Hakim, S. Faraz Danish Alvi,A. Samad Shera. Ramadan Fasting related Awareness, Practices and Experiences of a representative group of Urban Pakistani Diabetics. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences 2012; 28: 432-436
21. Saleh Memon, Shahid Ahsan, Qamar Riaz, Abdul Basit, Sikandar Ali Sheikh, Asher Fawwad, A Samad Shera. Frequency, severity and risk indicators of retinopathy in patients with diabetes screened by fundus photographs: a study from primary health care. Pak J Med Sci 2014;30(2):366-372
22. Shabeen Naz Masood, Syed Faraz Danish Alvi, Muhammad Yakoob Ahmedani, Shazia Kiran, Nimra Fatima Zeeshan, Abdul Basit, A. Samad Shera. Comparison of Ramadan-specific education level in patients with diabetes seen at a Primary and a Tertiary care center of Karachi-Pakistan. Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews 8 (2014) 225–229
23. Salah Memon, Shahid Ahsan, Rashid Alvi, Asher Fawwad, Abdul Basit, Samad Shera, Sikander Ali Sheikh and Muhammad Faisal Fahim. Retinal Screening Acceptance, Laser Treatment Uptake and Follow-up Response in Diabetics Requiring Laser Therapy in an Urban Diabetes Care Centre. Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan 2015;25(10):743-746
24. S. A. Jaffar Naqvi, Shahid Ahsan, Asher Fawwad, Abdul Basit, A Samad Shera. Effect of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor on glomerular hyperfiltration in patients with type 1 diabetes. Pak J Med Sci. 2016 May-Jun; 32(3): 559–564.
25. Abdul Samad Shera, Abdul Basit, Prompt Team. Pakistan’s Recommendations for Optimal Management of diabetes from Primary to Tertiary care level (PROMPT). Pak J Med Sci. 2017; 33(5): 1279–1283.
26. Pakistan’s Recommendations for Optimal Management of diabetes for Primary to Tertiary care level (PROMPT guidelines Book). Pak J Med Sci 2017; 33(2) (Supplement)
27. Musarrat Riaz, Fareeha Shaheen , Asher Fawwad, Rubina Hakeem, Sarah Finer, Samad Shera, Grham Hitman, Bishwajit Bhowmzik, Nayla Christina do Vale, Abdul Basit, Akhtar Hussain. Maternal nutrition during early pregnancy and cardio- metabolic status of neonates at birth. Journal of Diabetes Research, Volume 2018, 10.1155/2018/7382946
28. Musarrat Riaz, Asmat Nawaz, Shabeen Naz Masood, Asher Fawwad, Abdul Basit, AS Shera. Frequency of Gestational diabetes mellitus using DIPSI criteria; a study from Pakistan. Clinical Epidemiology and Global Health. (2018)06;003
29. Abdul Basit, Asher Fawwad, Huma Qureshi, Muhammad Arif Nadeem Saqib, Ibrar Rafique, Samad Shera, NDSP contributors. 2nd National Diabetes Survey of Pakistan (NDSP) 2016-2017. Available from: http://phrc.org.pk/assets/final-book.pdf (last assessed on January 18, 2019
30. Shabeen Naz Masood, Saira Saeed, Nusrat Lakho, Yasir Masood, Muhammad Yakoob Ahmedani, A. Samad Shera. Pre-Ramadan health seeking behavior, fasting trends, eating pattern and sleep cycle in pregnant women at a tertiary care institution of Pakistan. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences2018 Nov-Dec; 34(6): 1326–1331.
31. Samad Shera, Abdul Basit, Asher Fawwad, MENA guideline team. Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Region Guidelines for the management of type 2 diabetes. Journal of Diabetology. 2019 Sep 1;10(3):134.
32. Abdul Basit, Bilal Bin Younus, Nazish Waris, Asher Fawwad, NDSP team. Prevalence and risk factor for tobacco use in urban and rural areas of Pakistan; a study from National Diabetes Survey of Pakistan (NDSP) 2016 – 2017. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences. 2020 Apr 16;36(4).
33. Abdul Basit, Salma Tanveer, Asher Fawwad, Nadeem Naeem, NDSP team. Prevalence and contributing risk factors for hypertension in urban and rural areas of Pakistan; a study from second National Diabetes Survey of Pakistan (NDSP) 2016-2017”. Clinical and Experimental Hypertension. 2019 Jun 3:1-7
34. Abdul Basit, Asher Fawwad, Khalid Abdul Basit, Nazish Waris, Bilal Tahir, Iftikhar Ahmed Siddiqui, NDSP members. Glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) as diagnostic criteria for diabetes: the optimal cut-off points values for the Pakistani population; a study from second National Diabetes Survey of Pakistan (NDSP) 2016-2017. BMJ Open Diabetes Research and Care. 2020 May 1;8(1):e001058.
35. Abdul Basit, Asher Fawwad, Huma Qureshi, Samad Shera, NDSP team members. Prevalence of Diabetes Mellitus in Pakistan; National Diabetes Survey of Pakistan (NDSP) 2016-2017. BMJ open. 2018 Aug 1;8(8):e020961
Mr. Mian Mukhtar Ahmed "As a member of IDF, we are able to participate in the largest global network of diabetes organisations dedicated to achieve progress for people with diabetes.''
Prof. Abdul Basit, newly elected Secretary-General of the Diabetic Association of Pakistan "I am honored to be considered to follow in the footsteps of Prof. A. Samad Shera, my mentor and a legendary diabetes representative of Pakistan, and the International Diabetes Federation. I will make every effort to continue his work and to help the millions of people with diabetes in the country."Back to members