Diabetes Association of Barbados
- Address :
- Jessamine Cot,Corner of Jessamine avenue
14025 St Michael
- Telephone number :
- Email :
- Website :
- Facebook :
- Founded in :
- Member of IDF since :
- Number of members :
The Diabetes Association of Barbados was founded in in April 1975 by Mr. John Grace, Mr. Hugh Mapp, the Late Mrs. Dorothy Talma-Monteil, Mr. Don Norville and Mr. Wilfred Ferguson, because they recognized that literature was available for free distribution, but persons suffering with Diabetes were not receiving the necessary attention or guidance for their illness.
The Headquarters of the Association is "Jessamine Cot", Corner of Jessamine avenue, Beckles road, St Michael, Barbados. The association has ten regions across Barbados (Northern, Northeastern, West Central, Western, Southern, Eastern, Central, Gall Hill, Glebe and one for Juniors); three support groups - adult, youth and parents/guardians. These regions and groups hold outreach and social activities and have monthly meetings where a variety of topics are discussed by healthcare and non-healthcare professionals on diabetes and other life related matters.
To improve the quality of life for persons living with diabetes and those at risk for developing diabetes through up-to-date education, good self-management and control of their condition.
- to promote interest in the causes and management of diabetes;
- to assist persons with diabetes in managing their condition;
- to disseminate information and to encourage preventative education on diabetes, diabetes related complications and other Chronic Non Communicable Diseases;
- to establish and maintain research activities in these conditions, to collect and make available information relating to the incidence and treatment of diabetes and to investigate the conditions under which diabetes occurs;
- to accept subscriptions, donations, real or personal estate devises and bequests for all or any of the purposes aforesaid;
- to promote and organise cooperation in the achievement of the above purposes and, to that end bring to membership representatives of organisations engaged in the furtherance of the above;
- The association is organising monthly activities such as walk, open day, ballroom show, church service.
- Market Day
- The Association has a monthly market day where fruits and vegetables are on sale.
- Health Education and Screening Programmes:
- Counselling service, outreach activities, BG, HbA1c, cholesterol, BP, weight, BMI etc. They received a donation of a Mobile Unit from Republic Bank (Barbados) Ltd to be used in our Community Outreach programme.
- Diabetes Education program utilizing Conversation Maps
- Adopt-A-Child with Diabetes Program
Publications & Newsletters
Barbados Diabetes Guide – Vol 2
Message from the President
Ms Noreen Merritt "As a member of IDF, we recognise and acknowledge IDF’s role as the umbrella organization working together with member Diabetes Organizations with shared goals and objectives. In their leadership position formally coordinating activities, providing advocacy, support and resources, enabling increased public awareness; empowering people with diabetes, especially the youth. Leading the way in providing guideline for diabetes management worldwide.
Our membership in IDF and our participation in the World Diabetes Congress gives us opportunities to learn from other communities and national diabetes organizations, in order to positively impact and enhance the lives of people with diabetes and those at risk of developing diabetes with our prevention and management education programs".
Back to members