- Address :
- POBox 11871
- Telephone number :
- +679-3215370 / 3215206
- Email :
- Founded in :
- Member of IDF since :
- Number of members :
Diabetes Fiji was previously called the National Diabetes Foundation of Fiji which was established in 1981 and became a member of IDF in 1983.
Diabetes Fiji Incorporated was registered as a Charitable Trust in July 2012 and the name change is endorsed by the Ministry of Health, Fiji and IDF.
- To encourage policy makers at the highest level to help create conducive environments for controlling Diabetes
- To empower people with diabetes or at risk of diabetes with knowledge and other resources to manage/ control their conditions
- To create awareness amongst care givers, relatives, friends and community to provide the needed support for people with diabetes.
- To strengthen health care systems to provide appropriate, affordable and sustainable services to people with diabetes.
- To educate communities on risk factors and advocate for healthier lifestyles to reduce the prevalence of diabetes
- To act as an advocate for the General Diabetes Community
Since its registration, Diabetes Fiji has achieved the following:
- Establishing the 3 Divisional Branches
- Successfully applying for and getting approval for a 3 year project to improve footcare in Diabetics from WDF. This program starts in August 2013 and looks at capacity building in the health professional and the diabetic communities on footcare.
- Participating in the IDF-WPR Annual Scientific Meeting in Kyoto, Japan with 7 members. This international exposure has been a most meaningful experience for all participants.
- Succeeded in applying for and approval for the Lautoka Diabetes Hub to be declared as an IDF-WPR dedicated footcare clinic.
- Participating in the production of a comprehensive Diabetes Management Guidelines for Fiji.
Learn more here about activities organised by the Association for World Diabetes Day:
- The IDFWPR dedicated Footcare Clinic at Lautoka Hospital, Fiji, has been declared the major activities centre for WDD 2013. The activities will be organised by the Western branch of Diabetes Fiji.
- Activities will also be organised by the Northern and Central/Eastern Branches.
- Community screenings will be combined with educational activities.
- Health Education: Diabetes Fiji works closely with the Ministry of Health, Fiji . It is currently working to establish a regular cell-phone based massaging which users can access
Screening programs are organised with the diabetes hubs. Diabetes Fiji facilitates this through provision of consumables and providing personnel for workstations.
Message from the President
Dr Abdul Wahid Khan "As a member of IDF, we have been able to access opportunities and networks which will facilitate Diabetes Fiji realise its goals. We are still in our infancy but we now have a cohesive group of proponents who are working tirelessly to achieve the desired goals"
Back to members