Diabetes Association of Thailand
- Address :
- Royal Golden Jubilee Building, Floor 10
2 Soi Petchburi 47, Petchburi Road
- Telephone number :
- Email :
- Website :
- Founded in :
- Member of IDF since :
- Number of members :
Diabetes Association of Thailand was established in 1965. Initially the work included education for public and healthcare personnel on diabetes care and treatment. Since 1980 partial support for research was granted. The association participated in six diabetes survey studies There had been occasional scientific meeting until 2007 when the annual scientific meeting was started. The international scientific meetings were organized twice in 1984 and 2005.
Working with the National Health Security Office and the Department of Medical Service, Ministry of Public Health the Clinical Practice Guideline was issued. The Diabetes Bulletins has been published semi-annually. Periodic publications included Review of Diabetes Situation in Thailand, Handbook on Diabetes Education for Self Management, Healthy Diet for Diabetic Patients and few others.
- To serve as an up to date and trustworthy source of knowledge for healthcare professionals and a conduit for disseminating information to the general public
- To support development of new knowledge and innovations related to the management of diabetes.
- To promote healthcare professionals’ knowledge and skills for improving standards of diabetes prevention and care
- To improve patient’s access to diabetes treatment
- To publicize the work of the association to public and gain public trust
- To co-operate with the relevant national and international bodies in organization of activities related to diabetes awareness and care
Learn more here about activities organised by the Association for World Diabetes Day:
- Walk/run to raise awareness 2007, 2009
- Lit up building in blue 2007, and lit up bridge in blue 2009
- Working with the Ambassador of Denmark campaigning WDD 2008 and raising fund for mobile eye units for out-reached communities.
- Human Blue Circle 2010, 2012
- Exhibition, education and screening yearly
Train the Trainer Programme: Training courses for nurses and other healthcare professionals on prevention and care of diabetes were organized periodically 1-2 .
Public Education Programme: Raising awareness on diabetes in communities on health promotion activities. Campaign on diabetes prevention and achieving target of glycemic and risk factors control on World Diabetes Day and health promotion activities. Radio and television broadcasting 3-4 times a year.
Screening Programmes:Working in coordination with the Ministry of Public Health for screening of diabetes in adults age 35 years and older. Screening was set up in primary care units and provincial hospitals as well as in communities. The rate of un-diagnosed diabetes decreased from 56.6% in 2004 t0 30.2% in 2009.
Message from the President
Mrs Wannee Nitiyanant "As a member of IDF, has given me an opportunity to exchange ideas and new insights for moving the society. The inspiration of global movement on diabetes urged me to work locally with confidence. It has been a great pleasure to see development and improvement on diabetes prevention and care in the country. Joining World Diabetes Day campaign activity each year certainly stimulates interest and awareness of the public on burden of diabetes. Hopefully, the national standard for prevention and care of diabetes will soon be implemented nationwide."
Back to members