Every two years, IDF launches a call for new YLD Candidates’ nominations to all its Members - the next call for nominations will take place in 2019.
IDF will only accept YLD nominations from IDF Members. Therefore, young people interested in becoming part of the YLD network need to be in contact with IDF Members in their countries prior to the nomination period. You can see a list of IDF Members on this webpage.
In order to be eligible to become part of the network, the IDF Members’ nominees need to fulfil the following criteria:
- Live with any type of diabetes
- Be between 18 and 30 years of age as of January 1st of the year after the nomination takes place (e.g. 2017 nominees must be between 18 and 30 as of January 1st 2018)
- Communicate effectively in English. The YLD Candidates are expected to understand, read, write and speak English to be able to communicate with other YLD Candidates and the IDF Executive Office
- Have an active relationship with an IDF Member and maintain that relationship for the whole period as a YLD Candidate
- Exhibit passion for making a difference in the diabetes community, locally, nationally and/or globally
- Be able to immediately develop, lead and execute a diabetes project with the support of the nominating IDF Member
- Have regular access to internet for communication and reporting purposes
- Be committed to allocating the time and maintaining the skills required to be involved in the Programme. This will include participating in various activities directed by the IDF EO.
At the moment of nomination, candidates must fill in an application form which will be provided by IDF. IDF Members need to fill a reference form, also provided by IDF. Both documents are compulsory. The timeline of the nomination process may vary, but will generally take place in the second quarter of the year.