The IDF Young Leaders in Diabetes (YLD) is a programme initated by IDF in 2011 to create a voice for young people with diabetes worldwide. The programme provides young people with diabetes with continuous education throughout a two-year period to empower them and help them become efficient advocates for themselves and others living with diabetes worldwide. The objectives of the YLD Programme are to:
- Be the key driver in enhancing the lives of young people living with diabetes
- Raise awareness of all types of diabetes by being a powerful voice for prevention, education, access to quality care, improved quality of life, and to help end discrimination and stigma related to diabetes
- Support and strengthen IDF, its Regions and Members and build a global people’s movement for diabetes
For the 2018-2019 term, the YLD network is composed of 67 members:
- 50 YLD Candidates, who joined the YLD Programme in 2017 and will develop a national diabetes project with the support of their national diabetes associations by 2019;
- 17 YLD Mentors, who joined the YLD Programme in 2015 or before, successfully developed a national diabetes project during their Candidates term, and now advise the YLD Candidates on how to implement their own projects.
You can find more information about the YLD Programme here.