07 May 2018
Category : Policy & programmes
The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) is an alliance of over 230 national diabetes associations with two million members in more than 170 countries and territories. It is committed to raising the global awareness of diabetes, building the evidence of the impact of diabetes, and providing tools for people with diabetes and health professionals.
IDF is looking to hire a full-time Data Analyst & Coordinator to join our Policy and Programmes team. The role is responsible for handling the data component for the high-profile IDF Diabetes Atlas and other diabetes-related research projects. They will coordinate the collection, analysis, interpretation and presentation of data on the burden of diabetes and related topics, in countries at all levels of economic development.
To improve the diabetes evidence base by coordinating IDF’s work in epidemiology and biostatistics.
Key responsibilities and activities:
- Coordinates the collection, analysis, interpretation and presentation of data on diabetes worldwide.
- Responsible for the data management of IDF’s high-profile Diabetes Atlas and other diabetes research projects.
- Oversees the methodology and data behind the IDF Diabetes Atlas and other IDF diabetes research work.
- Writes code for statistical analysis in the R programming language.
- Builds, organises and maintains internal MySQL study databases.
- Summarises complex data using Instant Atlas.
- Works with colleagues to link epidemiology with other IDF programmes: provides statistical support for the design and development of new projects.
- Plans, prioritises and monitors multiple epidemiological study projects.
- Liaises with a global network of expert volunteers.
- Develops and writes scientific publications.
- Communicates data to a variety of scientific and lay audiences.
- Supports the communications and advocacy teams in the interpretation of scientific findings.
- Works with other organizations to ensure the coherence of diabetes data.
- Reports project progress to Senior Management Team and IDF Board.
- Supports the communications team to deliver evidence-based messages to global media.
- Master’s degree or PhD (or equivalent) in biostatistics, epidemiology, or related field.
- Experience of statistical modelling and regression of health data.
- Experience in using software (particularly R) to analyse health data
- Experience in installing, configuring and upgrading MySQL databases.
- Demonstrated experience in the critical interpretation of published epidemiological data, via posters, oral presentations and papers.
- Experience in systematic literature reviews.
- Excellent oral and written knowledge of English (extra UN language is an asset).
- Willingness to use project management systems and reporting templates.
- Proficient in MS Office, including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel.
- Able to adopt IDF’s ethics and beliefs.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver multiple projects on time.
- Able to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, from colleagues in other teams to academic specialists in the field.
- At least five years’ relevant work experience.
- Experience in data visualisation (for example InstantAtlas).
- Knowledge of the global epidemiology of diabetes and major comorbidities.
- Keen interest in diabetes and the mission of the IDF.
- Knowledge of collaboration platforms (such as Basecamp); reference management software (such as Zotero); and website content management systems CMS (such as Wordpress).
How to apply
Interested applicants are requested to send a CV and cover letter to Ms Audrey Baerten, Office Manager at HR@idf.org by June 3, 2018.